Tuesday 24 April 2018

(¸.•★ (¸.•★ BOOK REVIEW ¸.★•*´¨) ¸.★•*¨)

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨) 

(¸.•´ (¸.•★ Kenan's Mate: A Dark Sci-Fi Alien Romance 

(Kleaxian Warriors Book 1) by Sue Lyndon


Purchase
US Link:  http://a.co/aqdn5Xg
UK Link: http://amzn.eu/748guPt

¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨) My Review - I loved this book

No way to return home, claimed by an alien prince and enslaved in a way that her mind can not accept.

An alien 'slave world' romance that breaks free from the typical 'erotica' mould and offers something a little better. I saw the second book advertised somewhere and since it was in kindle unlimited gave it a go. I enjoyed it enough to go back and read book #1 in the series. Whilst I know I enjoy this authors writing I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this story. Sometimes these alien books are virtually interchangeable with the 'same' plot, different names. I'm pleased to report that this felt very different to so many others of the genre.

Laylah has just travelled through a worm-hole in space to reach the beautiful tropical planet Tallia. Unfortunately she arrives just as the Kleaxian's decide to overthrow the humans and take back their planet. The human men are killed and the women taken as slaves or mates. However Kleaxian males 'own' their mates and not cooperating with your male results in a punishment. Laylah's mate, Kenan, is half human so he should understand Laylah's feelings about this. However he fully embraces his Kleaxian culture that believes a man dishonours his mate if he doesn't punish her 'bad' behaviour.

The blurb sounds like this could be one of those ten-a-penny alien romances where there are lots of sex scenes, lots of spanking and a girl who suddenly discovers she's submissive (having never had the slightest inclination in the past) and who loses all sense of self any time she is within 10 yards of the hero. 

WELL LET ME STATE RIGHT NOW THAT IT ISN'T.

I loved Laylah's conflict, she truly felt like a naive 18 year old, yet she wasn't annoying either. Her tears, her terror, her reactions felt so very real. Her determination to be 'good' in order to avoid the punishments that terrified her down to her soul. That just made my heart ache. It was wonderful how she tried to convey her emotions and concerns to Kenan. How she tried to enlighten him to the fact that human upbringing and expectations made it very difficult to adapt to Kleaxian ways. Near the end, when she questioned whether she would ever be happy, when she knew love would never be enough, I just wanted to cheer. At last an alien capture book where the humans reactions and emotions that felt real and believable.

There were times when Kenan showed potential, and other times I truly wanted to take a baseball bat to him. Thankfully he redeemed himself and by the end had earnt both Laylah's and my respect.

The book really held my attention, I didn't feel the need to skim any of this. Whilst it is quite steamy, there is still plenty of plot and action OUTSIDE of the bedroom, so to speak. It wasn't full of spanking/punishment scenes either. This was very much a genuine romance and was a delight to read. I am only too happy to recommend this book.




Synopsis
I've been taken by a fierce alien warrior, and my life is no longer my own.
My name is Laylah. On my eighteenth birthday, the Kleaxians attacked and killed all the human males aboard the Stargazer. The females were kept as mates or slaves. I was taken as a mate. Lucky me.
The huge alien who claimed me is called Prince Kenan. He says he'll never let me go--that we are bonded for life. When I defy him, he punishes me in the most humiliating ways imaginable. But sometimes he's tender and loving. I try to be good so he doesn't hurt me.
I don't know what scares me more--that I'll never escape Prince Kenan...or that I'm starting to fall for my captor.
Publisher's Note: Kenan's Mate is a DARK sci-fi alien romance, containing explicit scenes and themes of power exchange, as well as scenes some readers may find triggering or disturbing. If such dark subject matter offends you, please do not buy this book. This title originally appeared in the Human Surrender box set, however this version has been *significantly* expanded to include several new chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.