Friday 7 December 2018

*:,:* Book Review *:,:* DIRTY ONES by JA Huss

THE DIRTY ONES

by JA Huss




They say write what you know.
So that’s all I did.
I wrote dirty. I wrote erotic. I wrote… the truth.

And then they called me a liar. 

But it’s not me who’s lying.
It’s them.




My Review  3.75 stars





Wow, golly, gosh and *pow*, mind totally blown

I very, very nearly didn't finish this. I reached a point where it really felt like it was going to be one of those 'there's a big secret and the whole book will just be filler until we get to that secret' stories. 


Turns out that very much wasn't the case. I'm massively pleased that I pushed through that 30 - 40% bit that dragged a little for me, and read until the very twisted and heart wrenching ending. The suspense was amazing and really kept you on the edge of your seat. I can be quite impatient and struggle with books where I have to 'wait' for answers, so I'm sure this fed into the feeling of not being sure if the book was for me.




It's both about what the blurb says and yet not about it at all. AVOID SPOILERS AT ALL COSTS. I actually tried to find some when I got stuck in the mud, I'm so glad I failed in that quest! This whole story hinges on those twists and the ensuing mind jiggery pokery that ensues.


It didn't get 5 stars because whilst I liked the characters, I just didn't feel much of a connection to them nor was I convinced that they were in love. Normally that would demote a book to 2.5 stars tops, so again hats of to the quality of writing and the amazing plot for making me not really mind those two issues. 





I loved this book, there are dark themes, mainly in the past, and a huge mind-f**k of an ending. That ending did leave me questioning two events that occurred at Hayes' mansion. They made sense as they happened but hindsight shifted their meaning. (see spoiler at bottom of page)


To sum up? Read this book, you won't regret it but you will enjoy it.






*****spoiler****


[I'm referring to the delivery of the notebook 'for a new story' (who sent that and why?) and the foursome. Hayes knew the truth of their shared past so why would he have instigated this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.