Saturday 1 December 2018

BOOK REVIEW ----- TAKEN by Felicity Brandon

Taken 


(Book one in The Dark Necessities trilogy)


by Felicity Brandon



´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡


MY REVIEW - 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐





A deliciously dark start to this captive erotic romance



This is the author's first foray into the world of dark erotica, and what a good job she's done.  I'd put it somewhere around/just past middle of the dark spectrum, its not horrific, violent or out-and-out abusive.  However it is very much a book of dubious-consent, humiliation and psychological mind play.  The story is well written, had good pace and is extremely hot!


Molly has spent years expressing her dark, kinky fantasies through the pages of her novels.  Connor is the fan who has decided to fulfil those deeply buried desires, whether Molly wants him to or not.  What results is a tale of spankings, punishments, depravity, Stockholm syndrome, extreme pet play and a woman in turmoil.  I loved the battle between Molly's mind and her body, how she struggled to accept her reactions to Connor's treatment.





Written first person, from both main characters POV, I did feel we got to know both Connor and Molly.  It was easier to really engage with and connect to Molly, I felt her emotions, thought processes and instinctual reactions felt believable.  Whilst I'm not sure in reality that anyone would enjoy the non-consensual actions of Connor, this is a dark erotic romance and I loved how Molly had to fight her desires.  Not surprisingly, though I felt I knew Connor, I didn't feel quite so much of a connection to him.  I did love the hints that there is much more to learn about him.


If dubious consent, strong punishments etc bother you then this perhaps isn't the book for you.  I would recommend it to those who love dark romance in all it's forms, as well as those who are new and want to try 'dipping' their toes in the black waters.  I really enjoyed this and am very much looking forward to the next instalment of the story.


´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡


SYNOPSIS


One obsessed fan. One captive author.



Lost on the streets of a foreign city, Molly Clary is attacked after a book signing. An unknown hero steps in to protect her, but her relief turns to terror when her savior's true intentions are revealed.




Connor Reilly doesn't just want to save her. He wants to take her for himself.


Now Molly's fighting, not just for her life, but for the essence of who she truly is. If she's going to survive in Connor's dark new world, she'll have to learn to play his games. But if Molly plays, what will it cost her? Can a monster ever really learn to love, or will his need to dominate destroy them both?


If you enjoyed the debauched desire of the Twist Me series, then you'll devour Felicity Brandon's edgy new trilogy.
Buy Taken to begin this hauntingly addictive set.



Taken is an edgy, fast-paced, dark romance and is the first book in The Dark Necessities trilogy. Molly and Connor's story continues in Tamed, and concludes in Entwined.



´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡





´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡



Ratings

5 stars - This is a book I will not forget and would definitely read again.

4 stars - I really enjoyed this book, I might not read it again but I would definitely recommend it to others.

3 stars - This story was good but either forgettable or just very typical of its genre.

2 stars - Whilst the book was readable I either didn't enjoy parts of the plot or just could not connect to the main characters.

1 star - This is a book I simply could not finish for reasons listed in the review.



´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.