Thursday 6 September 2018


Fae (Daughters of Eltera Book 1) by Jennifer Bene

(A Dark Paranormal Romance)




MY REVIEW -  🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


Wow, what an unexpected surprise it was to read this book. It took me back to my late teens and early twenties when I devoured every Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Julian May and David Eddings book I could get my hands on, though it had a much more modern feel to it.


This book combined everything I want in a good read. It had characters who engaged me and that I subsequently cared about. It was well written, entertaining and with a pace that held my attention without loosing me. Best of all it had magic, immortal beings, gods and goddesses too.


Fae was a warrior through and through, but one who always stood up for the underdog. Enslaved and immortal she has become almost immune to her own suffering, but can not stand the hurt dealt out to others. She is a feisty, strong and caring female and is the sort of heroine I love to read about.


I was pleasantly surprised by Kiernan. He wasn't the dark, broody alpha male I expected. Instead he was gentle and reserved, a man who had lost so much and been held in thrall against his will. A man willing to give everything for the woman he loves. 


The world building, scene setting and character development is excellent, I felt like I was there, seeing what they saw, feeling what they felt. The book paddled at the edges of darkness, with some very terrible experiences being implied rather than experienced.


Given that Kiernan and Fae were together virtually 24/7 the pace of their relationship, and the growing bond between them, felt as though it developed at a natural rate and was believable. Whilst we got some intimate scenes, they felt organic to the plot and were neither too frequent nor too gratuitous. 


The moment I finished this book I wanted to dive straight into book 2. It was that captivating and thrilling a read. My only disappointment is that there are only the 2 books so far. I might have to stalk the author and pester her for more books in this series.





Blurb

Chosen. Cursed. Enslaved.

Fae just wants to live day to day. She doesn’t want to think about a future filled with another two thousand years of servitude. She doesn’t want to think about her past, or the way she failed the goddess she swore to serve forever. And she really doesn’t want to think about the men and women that suffer around her every day while she can’t protect them – no matter how hard she tries.

She’s definitely not ready when her entire world is turned upside down and the one person she would never choose to spend a minute with shows up.

After millennia of suffering, is it even possible to trust someone? To let herself believe that good still exists?

Damned. Cursed. Corrupted.

Kiernan doesn’t know what he wants. After centuries of bloodshed, and war, and killing – he’s waking up, and if the things he dreams in his sleep were only nightmares that would be one thing, but they’re all real. 

The only light in his darkness is a girl inside a glass, and he can’t stop watching her. Her bravery fascinates him, inspires him. Her suffering is what he deserves.

Yet some part of him craves more, craves something good. But is there anything that can be done when gods have used you as pawns in their own war? Can good things come out of evil?


Publisher's note: Fae is the first book in the Daughters of Eltera series. It contains dark themes, slavery, violence, damaged heroes, and gods and goddesses. If those things don't interest you, please seek another book.


Purchase
Amazon US - http://a.co/d/2Ih61Pw
Amazon UK - http://amzn.eu/d/e8LBJJX




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.