Saturday 24 November 2018

BOOK REVIEW - --- - IN THE LAND OF GODS AND MONSTERS by Carmen Jenner



In the Land of Gods and Monsters, Part One

by Carmen Jenner




´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡

4.5 stars - ⭐⭐⭐⭐✪



Mind blown, at the start I didn't think I would enjoy this but by the end I loved it.
 

Positives
Whilst at first this felt very similar to several other 'kidnapped slave in training' stories, it had quite a few unique touches that really drew me into the story. 

In particular I LOVED how Pet, even when she felt broken, never lost her fire. She never truly gave up, she maybe made stupid decisions, but she retained herself.

I personally liked the Israel twist/ side plot. On paper it shouldn't have worked but it did.

´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡

Negatives - though these may be addressed in later books

Huge suspension of disbelief that a top flight principal dancer can be kidnapped without a trace from her dressing room. 

Massive suspensions of disbelief that you would choose to kidnap a pretty well know person, from a VERY rich family, as someone to train and then sell on as a slave. Far too much risk involved.

There was a little too much sex and not enough story/world building at one point. 



***So after taking some time to think, I'm putting this firmly in the 'enjoyed' category.***




I didn't realise this wasn't going to be a stand alone. However it either had a very open ending, or there is (I'm hoping and guessing from the fact that it now says part one) more to come. I really liked this authors writing style, the pace, the characters, the darkness, the intrigue, the danger and her ability to write a damn good mind-f**k of a story. 

I loved Pet. One of the biggest things that annoys me is when a heroine thinks she is strong, or the author repeatedly tells us she is BUT what we actually get is a female who is as soft as a marshmallow. Pet was so well written, I loved how she never gave up. Yes she made some really stupid (with hindsight) decisions BUT she (a) made them, (b) learnt from them and (c) might have been scared at times but she wasn't a push over either.

Ares had enough about him to give him a likeable edge, he was nicknamed death and he certainly had a malevolent streak to him. He intrigued me and again was a very well written character. I would have found him, and the book as a whole, a lot darker had we experienced more punishment and non-con scenes. 



I felt there was a slight case of telling us Pet had been trained to enjoy pain along with pleasure, rather than being shown. However I think some of this was because the book was set over several months, although this wasn't clear until quite a way through the book. Up until that point I thought we were talking days or a couple of weeks, though I do prefer that it was a longer time period.

I really liked the hints of what else was to come, the mystery of why they had to rush from The Ranch, why Ares and his brother are in the sex slave trade and why they need so much money. The book really held my attention and I read it from start to end with barely a pause. The pace, writing, character development and plot were all really good and I definitely plan to read more of this series.


´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡







´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡


Synopsis

In the land of gods and monsters, she was a toy. A plaything. A pet.

His pet.

Taken, stolen, beaten, used.

Pet remembers nothing before his touch, and afterward she craves nothing more.

Sinful and merciless, Ares is her god now. He alone says when to beg, when to come, and when to kneel, but he never said anything about leaving.


Warning: In the Land of Gods and Monsters is a dark romance novel. It contains strong sexual themes, dubious consent, graphic violence, and may contain triggers for some readers.


´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡


Ratings

5 stars - This is a book I will not forget and would definitely read again.

4 stars - I really enjoyed this book, I might not read it again but I would definitely recommend it to others.

3 stars - This story was good but either forgettable or just very typical of its genre.

2 stars - Whilst the book was readable I either didn't enjoy parts of the plot or just could not connect to the main characters.

1 star - This is a book I simply could not finish for reasons listed in the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.