Friday 23 November 2018

✯¸.•*✯¸.•*¨ BOOK REVIEW - A TASTE OF SHINE by Addison Cain

A TASTE OF SHINE

(A TRICK OF THE LIGHT #1)

by Addison Cain


5 stars    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐






So very different to her usual work yet just as brilliant and amazing



A Taste of Shine is a wonderfully written historical romance set in America's prohibition era. It is part one of a duet and set the scene so well with it's captivating plot, intriguing characters and gentle humour. 

The author is know so much more for her dark work, which I love and which was enough to make me interested in reading this book. Even though it isn't my usual genre, without a shadow of a doubt I enjoyed every single word of this story. This is written with the same depth and quality that I have come to expect, once I started reading I really didn't want to put the book down.





I totally and utterly fell in love with Charlie, Matthew, Nathaniel and Eli. I not only felt that these characters were believable, I cared about them, laughed with them, felt their pain and totally want to be their friend. The book had me drawn in from the first page and held me in thrall until the very last line. There is nothing I would want to change about this book, or the characters within. I could read this book again and again.


The story in some ways was quite gentle in feel, though it has it's fair share of thugs and violence. I loved how the plot weaved the romance element through the story of a young woman escaping a tough background and trying to make a new start for herself. I loved the tough as nails, yet somewhat vulnerable Charlie. I loved the slow burn, I loved the banter between Charlie and Nathaniel. I even loved Matthew's bumbling alpha maleness even whilst I wanted to shake him and shove him in Charlie's direction.




The only thing I didn't love was that the story doesn't go on forever! Oh and having to wait for part 2, but that's just because I need so much more of Charlie, Matthew and the rest of the characters in this tale.

If you are a fan of this author, like an adventurous historical read and or just want a damn good read then I highly recommend this. In fact I highly recommend this book full stop.





Synopsis

Chicago’s reigning kingpin wants Charlotte back under his wing. His right-hand-man wants her in his bed. But small-town moonshiner, Matthew Emerson, just wants her right where she is—safe in his arms and hidden away from her sordid past.

Trouble is, Charlotte’s not that kind of girl. The spitfire has her own reckoning to bring, and the last thing she wants is someone thinking she’s worth protecting.








Ratings


5 stars - This is a book I will not forget and would definitely read again.


4 stars - I really enjoyed this book, I might not read it again but I would definitely recommend it to others.


3 stars - This story was good but either forgettable or just very typical of its genre.


2 stars - Whilst the book was readable I either didn't enjoy parts of the plot or just could not connect to the main characters.


1 star - This is a book I simply could not finish for reasons listed in the review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.