Saturday 1 September 2018

BOOK REVIEW ***** FORBIDDEN by Amelia Gates *****

Forbidden: Student teacher romance by Amelia Gates







4.5 stars for this much more than 'just a naughty taboo read' 

I've not read this author before, so I had no idea what to expect from her. Based on the title and blurb I had expected a cheap thrills taboo read. However, this story has more depth and plot to it than my first impression gave. It is fairly low angst in that Kim (the older woman/teacher) doesn't seem to feel a huge dilemma over the relationship. Whilst her position as a teacher (but not HIS teacher) at the school he attends IS morally questionable, I felt the author crafted the backstory well, so that there relationship wasn't 'icky.

Kim has fast-tracked through school and college and is now teaching at a high school, she is also guardian to her 17 year old niece. Zayne is in his final year and has already turned 18, he spots Kim in her classroom and decides that he must have her. As the blurb says Turners get what they want!

I really liked both main characters, they had depth and were consistently written. I loved that whilst Zayne was confident to the point of being cocky, he still had a naive and vulnerable side that made him feel his age. Kim at times felt a little younger than her age of 25 BUT I felt that her life experiences (or lack of) again explained the character.

The passion between Zayne and Kim was intense and so believable. We see it grow and develop into something strong and meaningful. However don't think this is just a taboo romance, there's a nice little romantic suspense sub-plot running in the background. Personally I would have liked to see this a little more developed throughout the whole book. There were hints and build ups to it, but nothing felt dangerous or sinister until the end, so for me it felt a tad rushed but enjoyable nonetheless. That's more of a personal preference thing though.

There were some very nice plot twists, the writing is engaging and I found it easy to read and follow. The pace held my attention and I actually ended up reading into the early hours just to finish this and find out what happened! This is an author whose work I will definitely look out for in the future.





BLURB

Zayne

I’m a Turner, and in this town a Turner always gets what he wants. Right now, I want her. What I didn’t expect was that right now, would turn into forever. That my want for her would develop into an obsession. There’s only one problem. There is a secret in my house, and when you’re dealing with a Turner, secrets can be devastating.

My father may be a Turner, but…SO…AM…I. If there is one thing we know how to do, it’s get what we want. This time, unfortunately, what he wants and what I want are at odds with each other.



Kim

Loving him is the easiest thing I’ve ever done.
Behind closed doors. Where no one can see us.
In the open. When no one’s watching.

Our love is the biggest secret I’ve ever had to keep. The darkest, most forbidden, feeling I’ve ever had to digest. But secrets do what secrets never should. They break barricades of silence and destroy everything on their way into the limelight.

And love? Love does what love should. It muscles up and fights, holds on for dear life, only giving up when strength and hope and perseverance have dimmed to complete darkness.

I am his teacher. He is my student. Taboo, I know. But in this teacher student romance, the roles have been reversed. There is nothing I can teach Zayne Turner that he doesn’t already know… and that includes me.


Purchase
Amazon US - http://a.co/d/9ctiKja
Amazon UK - http://amzn.eu/d/eTULdo8



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.