Monday 30 April 2018

´`★.¸¸¸. •°´♡ BOOK REVIEW ¸.★*´♡¸.★*´♡

Forbidden (House of Sin #1) by Elisabeth Naughton


A captivating opener to the House of Sin series




This is a deliciously steamy and angst inducing read, though I wouldn't describe book #1 as dark. I loved Ms Naughton's Eternal Guardians series, a fantasy/mythological romance blend, but haven't tried any of her contemporary romance stuff yet. The blurb and genre description totally called my name and whilst, as I've already stated, for me this isn't yet 'dark' it IS very powerful in its psychological elements but is more romantic suspense in my eyes. (For me dark is dubious or non-con, violence, sex slavery, torture or mutilation of one of the main characters.)



I wasn't sure what to expect, though from reading the EG series I know the author is a very talented writer, able to convey emotions and feeling extremely well. In regards to the 'dark' aspect, unless I have previously read dark work by that author, I rarely allow my hopes to build up. That said, this had me so twitchy and anxious at times that I was still totally entranced by it.


Natalie is investigating the death of her best friend. The friend she knows would never have taken drugs at all, never mind overdosed on them. The friend whose emails had caused Natalie to become worried. The friend whose apartment was so neat and tidy it triggered massive alarm bells in Natalie's head, enough to know that someone is hiding the truth. Her searches lead her to the Salvatici brothers, Luc and Gio, but who can she trust and who is keeping secrets? What will happen if she trusts the wrong man?

I was utterly mesmerised by the first part of this story, which will conclude over the next two books in the series. I literally did not want to put the book down, I read it in any 5 minute break I had and I read it far into the night. Despite being part of a trilogy its well on its way to being a 5 hour read and, whilst I personally could have lived without a couple of the sex scenes, none of it felt like filler. The first part of the book had me permanently on tenterhooks, with its ever present edge of danger and Natalie's frequent feelings of unease or down right fear.

A tiny little part of me felt that at times she could almost fall into the TSTL (too stupid to live) category. You suspect your best friend has been murdered and you run straight towards the people you believe are responsible. However it didn't bother me in the slightest because (a) it was vital to the story and (b) she didn't come across as stupid at any other point. Both main characters come across well and are likeable. It did want to smack Luc upside the head for never actually explaining to Natalie just why he told her to do things, or why she was in danger. However I get that he thought he was protecting her by doing this.

The middle of the book becomes more of an erotic romance, with Natalie discovering Luc's hidden desires and his need to dominate. Whilst this section is very steamy, it did feel an integral part of developing both Luc and Natalie's characters, as well as forging a believable connection between them. I loved Natalie's strength of character throughout this section. We then get to the last part of the book, where events take a more sinister turn and the tension level rises again and we get a very dramatic, cliffhanger conclusion to the story. Whether events will turn darker from this point obviously remains to be seen but what is without doubt is that I will be continuing to read this series of books until the end.

Given the very sexual and erotic nature of the books it's definitely an 18+ read, but it's also a book that I am very happy to recommend to friends, family and fellow book lovers.




View all my reviews

Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/2qLsnW2




Synopsis
She has no idea what lurks behind the forbidden doors of the House of Sin…
He is temptation. Forbidden fruit. A craving I can’t seem to resist.
I went after him in search of answers, certain he had blood on his hands. Now I’ve fallen prey to his seductive looks and commanding charisma.
I know he is a threat. He’s entwined in a dangerous world I don’t understand. But that doesn’t stop me from aching for his touch, for the taste of his wicked lips.
Before I can truly surrender to the fire smoldering between us, I need to know more. I have to see behind the doors he keeps firmly locked.
I need to discover what he’s hiding in the shadowy world known as the House of Sin…
**WARNING!**
This book is very sexy, very dark, and very addictive! Contains consensual kink and a dark and dominant hero with a dangerous secret. This is a big story that can’t be told in only one book so there is a cliffhanger – but never fear, book two releases three weeks later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - they make my day x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.